The NZ Hemp Industries Association (NZHIA) is a non profit society registered in 1997. We are a non-profit organisation that is funded by memberships, fundraising via sponsorship from hemp business and others involved in supplying goods and services to the hemp industry, donations and koha.
Our mission is to support the growth and development of all aspects of the industrial hemp industry in New Zealand, and our objectives to complete this are listed below. We intend to meet these objectives with the support and participation of industry, business and the involvement of the Government, and we will develop as an association, based on honest, hard work and the sharing of information and expertise.
Our Members are representative of the entire industry, from seed growers and processors, through to retail. They are currently supplying quality products, both business to business and business to consumer, for both the local and export markets. We support our members and the industry by facilitating, the exchange of information within the industry and with various stakeholders including the Ministry for Health as the regulator and the Ministry of Primary Industries on farming and agronomic matters. We are also prepared to present at local shed meetings and assist with applications for funding and business plan development.
NZHIA Objectives (As of June 2004):
- To ensure Government legislation and compliance issues are necessary, workable and industry friendly.
- Remove industrial hemp from the prohibited botanicals list.
- Ensure Government regulations remain pertinent and up to date.
- Ensure the public is properly and reliably informed regarding industrial hemp developments, technology and produce.
- Encourage environmentally friendly and ethical bio-regional developments.
- Acknowledge that the NZHIA has no interest in the recreational cannabis debate, except where it may impede industry development.
- Support the industry to be able to make and market hemp products from all parts of the iHemp plant. (Added 2016)